It's been so long since I've posted that I've almost forgotten how to do a blog post! So, you're probably wondering where I've been and what I've been doing. Maybe not, but I'm going to tell you anyway. In a nutshell I have been recuperating from the surgery that I had in September to repair a tear in my rotator cuff tendon. If you have never had this done or know someone that has, it is not an easy thing to recover from. My first month was spent in a sling. Once the sling came off I was given small exercises to do at home. My arm was pretty much useless. The third month I began Physical Therapy to regain strength and range of motion. I am just about back to normal. As I mentioned in a previous post, Henry retired the end of August. December 28th we hitched up our camper and headed to Florida, which is where we will be until March 31st. But that's another post.
Today's post is about our guest room that finally was finished just before Christmas. Henry had to finish what I had started. So, grab a cup of coffee, tea, hot chocolate, glass of wine, whatever your preference is. This is going to be a long post. Go ahead, I'll wait.
Are you ready? Here we go.
This is what it looked like before.
The only ones that ever slept on that bed were the cats!
After the removal of the wallpaper border and molding, it was time to paint. The bottom was painted Arctic White by Glidden from Wal-Mart and the top third was painted Charcoal Heather by Olympic One from Lowe's.
You can read more about that here.
The ceiling was painted and the unfinished window casings were spackled and painted.
Instead of buying a new ceiling fan we dismantled the old one and spray painted the housing black and the blades white. The housing was gold. There's nothing wrong with gold, but it's not for me. Unfortunately, I did not take a picture of the blades. They were a very bad looking faux wood grain.
Another thing I did not take a pic of was the doors, which were also a bad faux wood grain. All the other doors in our house have been redone. We painted the doors and the moldings Arctic White in a gloss.
The doors were give one coat, then molding was nailed and glued on, then a second coat of paint was added. I wish I had a better picture.
Instead of buying new door knobs, I spray painted the ones we have in a satin nickel. They were original brass.
That's as far as my participation went. Henry had to finish the rest of it.
The next step was the board and batten. I found a great tutorial here.
The old carpeting had to be removed. As you can see Henry had a helper.
The final thing was new carpeting. The room is not that big so we opted to buy a remnant. I had trouble finding the right gray, but finally did at the most unexpected place. Ollie's. I'm not sure if everyone is familiar with Ollie's, but they have a little bit of everything. They buy overstock from other stores. I have purchased really nice King size sheet sets for $11.99! I digress. The remnant measured 12' x 15' plus it had bound edges. The kicker..........we only paid $132! It still had to be cut to fit, but it is really nice. I almost forgot about the padding. That was a hand-me-down from my daughter. There was really nice wood flooring in her living room underneath the carpeting when they bought their house. She gave us the padding after they ripped out the carpeting. The padding was practically brand new. The previous owners had installed it only about a year before they sold.
Onto the final touches. This is the fun part...........decorating. I really try to re-use what I already have if I can, so I took this little yellow side table and painted it the same turquoise that I used on the armoire. You can read about that here.
I got that darling little lamp at Dollar General.
I made a burlap wreath for above the bed.
I found the Queen size bed on Craigslist. The lady I bought it from had already redone the headboard and it was a perfect fit for the room. We already had a mattress, but needed to buy a foundation, which we found at Big Lots for $100! It was supposed to be $132, but rang up $100. I think it was on sale.
I bought the bedding at Wal-Mart for $29.97! Great bargain for a comforter, shams, bed skirt and a set of sheets!
I already had the candlesticks, but found these battery operated candles on sale at Kohl's for half price just before Christmas. They even came with a remote control!
The curtains are from IKEA. I did have to cut some off the bottom and hem them. They were a little long. I already had the curtain rod.
As you can see, the room is quite small. I stood in the doorway to take this pic. To my left is where the armoire is. I still want to hang some family photos on the walls.
Who doesn't love a side by side.
Thank you for taking the time to stop by.